August 9th, 2009

So... people have been telling me to upload pictures of the trip to Fraser Island... and I will put them up! Just not today... not really in the mood, it's been a slooooow weekend, so the pictures will be up tomorrow, unless I'm too tired after training (not likely). I can tell you about the trip though. It was awesome.

Got up at 5 Tuesday morning, packed the last things and stuff like that, and was at the school at around 6. Not a lot of people had shown up when Mathis and I got there. We helped the teachers pack the trailer and other stuff. Once everybody showed up and had their stuff packed on top of the 4wd's (four-wheel-drives just in case anybody didn't know), we left for the barge that was supposed to take us over. Back the way Mathis and I had just come, strangely enough, oh well.

The barge was slow. Very slow, don't know when we got to Fraser, but not before 9.30, I think. Anyway, once we got there, it looked pretty decent, nothing special. We arrived at Kingfisher Bay by the way. I liked the way they'd hidden the entire resort, though. Was almost impossible to see it from the sea, they had actually left a lot of trees. Kingfisher Bay Resort looked awesome, but unfortunately, that wasn't the place we were staying... we had about 15 minutes around the resort, to buy stuff, look around and such. I bought a dessert bowl and knife/spoon/fork as I forgot to bring any. Was fairly expensive, but I guess that's to be expected from a place like that.

Anyway, off we go again. Oh by the way, Mathis and I were in Doc's car. 11 people in our car. 8 students in the back, 2 students in the front, and one driver. Not much room in there, but it was awesome nonetheless. Driving in a normal car will never be fun again. The roads on Fraser were simply awesome! Only a few places with asphalt, on of them being the Kingfisher Bay Resort, the rest of it was sand. And not the kind of sand we have on the beaches in Denmark, this sand was WAY finer than what we have back home, therefore, much more fun to drive in. As said, I was in Doc's car, and I'm glad. We were the last in the "convoy", and Doc kept falling behind, and the catching up again, awesome. Only one car got stuck, that was Terri, our Marine Studies teacher. Only reason he got stuck, was 'cause of the trailer behind his 4wd. Doc had to pull him free.

The first day, we stopped at Lake McKenzie. Quote from here: "It is a 'perched' lake, which means it contains only rainwater, no groundwater, is not fed by streams and does not flow to the ocean. The sand and organic matter at the base of the lake form an impervious layer, preventing rainwater from draining away." So, yea. That's some pretty damn clean water. So clean, actually, that it can't sustain any life. Took quite a few pictures of the lake, it's damn awesome. I kinda want to go there again.

Not sure how long we spent at the lake, but the next stop was Central Station, where we were going to camp for the night. In the middle of the rainforest actually. Once the tents and all that were up, we had to go for a walk. We went to Pine Valley. Not really sure what was so special about Pine Valley, but at least the walk was nice. Except the last stretch... most of us were pretty exhausted by then. And not just the students.

Had dinner when we got back to the camp. BBQ! Chicken and potatoes and... peas and corn. Was decent. After that, not much to do but play cards. It gets dark really fast here. Especially in the rainforest. We started out with some Piggy (don't ask me about that game, not about to explain it, and I sucked at it). Then Mark and I decided we wanted to play 4-man Whist (I think that's what it's called in English, and Mark is a classmate), so we taught Mathis and Stevns (Anders Stevns, another classmate), and then Emil and Marianne (guess what? More classmates!) showed up, and wanted to learn to play the game too. None of them were really great, but Emil was probably the best of them. We played a couple of games, until it was 9 o'clock, and then Terri had to turn the lights off... damn 9 pm curfew...

Quite a few of my classmates were sick, actually, including the two that slept in the same tent as me (Lars and Jesper). Both of them were asleep when I got in bed...

I slept horribly. I always do when I camp. I could have the greatest tent and air bed in the world, and I'd still sleep horribly. So, that was the first day of the trip on Fraser.

Seems this post has a fair length. I wasn't really in the mood for this today, but I did it anyway^^ Will be posting pictures tomorrow, and telling about the last couple of days. Don't miss out on the next episode! Including spiders, snakes, me going on walkabout and going loco!

/wave

0 kommentarer:

Post a Comment